Julie's Venetian Courtesan

Who doesn't want to be a Dangerous Beauty?

Monday, May 09, 2005

Lose Pounds In Seconds!

Sounds like an infomercial. However, its exactly what I did to my dear green "practice" dress today. I've been concerned with the excessive weight of the dress for spring/summer use. It was formerly checking in as a heavyweight at 7.2 pounds. Today I cut out the flirty, red skirt lining, and the dress was magically slimmed by 2.4 pounds. Thats a full 1/3 decrease for those of you up to doing the fractions....

The dress is wonderfully light in my hands now, and much easier to maneuver around the sewing machine. It also means i've got oodles of red fabric just in case I need it for any other projects--sleeves, pouch/purse, flagfan? The only catch is that now I have to be careful about lifting my skirts when I wear the dress, unless I want to expose my picnic like checkers on the inside of the green fabric. Still, I think that trade is worth the heat regulation. Now the dress is a slim 4.8 lbs. Not counting extensive undergarments, of course.... For a 10 second scissor-induced-diet, that's not bad at all!

In other news, I've been working on ironing out some of my fit issues. Primary on the list is that annoying butt-pucker. Today I removed that part of the cartridge pleated skirt (goodbye hard-won handstitching, I shall be doing more soon, i suppose), and have removed about an inch of the boning to relieve some of the pressures and strain in that area (not to mention keeping said boning from poking me immediately above my, um, crevice). I also found what I think is the source of my problem--the lining and outer fabric were not the same width, so it was making "weirdness." I was hoping all that would fix it. Unfortunately, mr. pucker didn't go away completely, though it is undeniably better than it was. Sorry for the horrid picture quality, but hubby wasn't home tonight, and I'm not so good at the yoga mistress thing (as I think we've already covered). I especially like how it looks like there's a toothbrush stuck to my bum.

buttpucker. ooh, it sounds so dirty..... I really am at a loss as to how to fix this now. But its no longer uncomfy, so I may just suck it up and deal. Unless my accomplices can help me the next time i see them. chuckle. Up for night-before-event-sewing, anyone?
The next issue is getting the front "slit" to come together nicely at the point of the V, and to hide that skirt slit in the front. Hook N Eye closures are wonderfee for both issues.

hooks and eyes help hold the skirt closed, even when the dress isn't laced. I'd say that's effective, wouldn't you?

I also worked on pinning the ribbon lattice to my sleeves. I decided to go with a larger grid than in my original pictures. For sanity as well as for ribbon-conservation. I've only got one sleeve so far, and its only pinned, not sewn, but I'm liking this look a lot. Hopefully will be able to sew this soon. Unfortunately, tomorrow night is out of commission for me, as I have to attend my little sister's concert. Note that this little lattice scares me. I just know its gonna move all around and be an asspain to sew. Simple. Hah.

sleeve Posted by Hello

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

The buttpucker is looking much better I agree. I'm not sure what else to do with it...although I'd love to sort out the issue before you do the super-orange dress. I'll ruminate on it.

Good job on the skirt diet. I think it's worth it. I'm liking my unlined skirt just fine so far on mine. And I will likewise be trying not to show the underside.

I really like the sleeves a lot. I think they will be an unmitigated pain in the buttpucker (can you tell I like saying that?) to sew together, but that's apparently a requirement for sleeves, right?

Oh. And for you, yes, I'll do night before sewing. We each get a turn. Niter, your turn is already used up. For the next decade ;) *ducks*

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wuss. My wedding dress was 15-20 pounds (I got on the scale holding the body bag) and I wore that puppy with with a corset, veil, and more poofage. Snicker.

Hmm..That brings up an interesting idea. I have poufage in my possession already.....

Blast! I was really counting on the "one sewing night before turn per year." Pity, I suppose I should start sewing my dress myself. (I am joking).

I do wonder what you did to the post Beth. I cannot see any of the pictures so as to comment productively!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I don't know how I broke it. Nor how I posted twice. I think blogger hates me. I can't figure out how to delete the duplicate either.

Anyway, Niter, when you say that you're joking, I presume you mean about starting your dress? :}

9:59 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Sigh. Looks like I'll be reposting this one tonight. Sorry, folks.

Why did Blogger eat my post? I know it was wonderful, but I wouldn't call it wonderfully delicious....

Niter, I've got visions of poodle skirt dimensioned courtesan dresses from YOUR level of poof. Lets stay reasonable, shall we? Chuckle. And you're welcome to prove your non-wussiness by wearing a 15-20, or even 7.2 lb dress if you want. I, for one, do not like heat stroke...

Must be "pick on niter day."

11:54 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

hey i have an idea. and it's not even related to giving everyone's favorite good sport (that would be niter) a hard time...shockingly!

anyway, about those sleeves....what if you you revolt against properly sewing them down and just tack them at the intersection points? maybe even with a bead or button or pearl or some such. then you claim that any bridging they do is "part of the design" and look kind of haughty at whoever asked. and then start your orange dress. oops, did i say that out loud?

3:29 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Oh, believe me, I did consider the tacking down with a pearl idea. And then I had visions of me snagging on every loose hook/corner/codpiece and having my sleeves rip clear off. So I nixed it. Overly cautious perhaps, but one must look out for those alert codpieces....

11:01 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Schmurfle!!!

Can you please not write stuff about codpieces when I'm drinking coffee? My keyboard thanks you.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home