Julie's Venetian Courtesan

Who doesn't want to be a Dangerous Beauty?

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Sleeve Experiment

My green fabric has a black checkered pattern on one side. I've decided to see what happens if i take advantage of this on my sleeves. Note that I'm planning on just doing straight sleeves that tie on, and will pull the camica out between sleeve and dress. I will most likely try a dressier style sleeve on my orange dress, but this is my "dress down" venetian, so I'm going simpler.

I went to the fabric store and bought ribbon. My original plan was to buy red/pinky ribbon to match the guards on my dress, but pitiful fabric store did not have that color. So I went safe and bought black. I decided to sew a lattice of the ribbon onto the green fabric following the existing checked lines. This is what the lattice is looking like so far:


I dunno. The effect is cool, but its kinda busy, as the existing grid is kinda small. I will think on it some more. I suppose i could do the same thing in a larger grid (more green space) on the nonpatterned side of the fabric.

Of course, I don't even know how period the crisscross pattern is. The only evidence I can find is this, from 1540's:

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

A sewn lattice is your idea of easy? Sheesh! Actually, I think it's really cool. Lots of work, but really cool. Can't wait to see them on.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home