Julie's Venetian Courtesan

Who doesn't want to be a Dangerous Beauty?

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Languishing Diaries

I am still alive, I swear. My dress making has been languishing, taking a back burner to my obsessive gyming and weight loss regimen. And reading. I've been a literary crazy for the past week and a half--finished 4 books.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I attempted to start my roped petticoat, but when I washed the rope it swelled and would no longer have fit in the channels the size of the ribbon I bought. I will either have to purchase new rope or new ribbon. Rope is probably cheaper.

In the meantime, I think that my dress making will pick up again quite soon, as I spend part of this weekend perusing venetian portraiture in the National Gallery of Art. Seeing some of my researched paintings close up was certainly inspirational. The detail you can see in the real paintings is phenomenal. I am very much looking forward to starting up again. ;-) It was also amusing to my hostess (and myself) that I could identify different methods of lacing and blackwork and partlets on the portraits, while she was obviously looking more at the artistic value of them. hehe

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I buckled down this weekend and actually did some stitching on my corset, despite *somebody's* attempts to distract me with knitting. I had forgotten how sore that makes one's fingers though! I've still got half of the bottom binding to put on, but it's looking pretty good!

I was mulling over the rope dilemma too. If you don't prewash it, do you think something bad will happen the first time you wash the skirt? Or will the channels kind of keep it from swelling. How much shorter did it get?

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home